When it comes to roofing options, one material has proven its worth in countless homes around the world: asphalt roofing. This versatile and cost-effective solution offers many advantages, making it a go-to choice for homeowners and builders alike.
Read on to learn why millions of roofing contractors choose asphalt.
The Top 10 Benefits of Asphalt Roofing According to the Experts
1. Versatility: Get Creative
Asphalt roofing isn’t just functional, it’s also highly customizable. With an array of color options and design varieties, homeowners can find the perfect style to match their personal aesthetic. Whether you prefer a classic look or want to make a bold statement, asphalt roofing can fit your vision.
2. Durability: A Roof That Stands the Test of Time
When investing in a new roof, you want to choose something that can withstand our harsh Wisconsin winters. Asphalt roofing excels in this department, boasting great resistance to extreme weather conditions, including rain, snow, and hail. Depending on the shingle type you choose, an asphalt roof can last between 15-30 years, reducing the need for frequent repairs or replacements.
3. Cost-Effective: Beauty on a Budget
One of the most appealing aspects of asphalt roofing is its affordability. It comes at a fraction of the cost of other roofing materials, yet still provides exceptional quality and performance. This makes it an excellent choice for budget-conscious homeowners who don’t want to compromise on quality.
4. Reflective: Stay Cool and Save Energy
Asphalt roofing has come a long way in terms of energy efficiency. Many asphalt shingles are now designed with reflective properties, helping to bounce back the sun’s rays and prevent excessive heat absorption. This reflective capability contributes to a cooler home interior, reduces the strain on air conditioning systems, and ultimately leads to energy savings.
5. Lightweight: Less Strain, More Support
Compared to some heavier roofing materials, asphalt shingles are relatively lightweight. This not only makes installation easier and quicker but also puts less strain on the overall structure of your home.
6. Damage Resistant: Standing Up to the Challenge
Asphalt roofing is designed to be tough, boasting a Class A fire rating. Additionally, many asphalt shingles receive a Class 4 impact resistance rating, making them capable of withstanding severe weather events and the occasional falling debris.
7. Eco-Friendly: A Greener Choice
If you’re looking to future-proof your home with an eco-friendly roofing option, asphalt is your best bet. Many asphalt shingles are recyclable, reducing the impact on landfills. Furthermore, their reflective properties contribute to improved energy efficiency, helping to reduce your home’s carbon footprint.
8. Sound-Dampening: Peace and Quiet
Beyond protecting you from the elements, asphalt roofing also offers sound-dampening qualities. The layers of shingles and underlayment help reduce external noise, creating a quieter and more comfortable living environment.
9. Easy to Repair: Seamlessly Addressing Issues
No matter how durable your roofing material is, wear and tear is inevitable. The beauty of asphalt roofing lies in its ease of repair. Individual damaged shingles can be replaced without necessitating a full roof overhaul, saving you time, effort, and money.
10. Reputation for Quality: Trusted and Proven
Asphalt roofing’s popularity isn’t just a coincidence; it’s a testament to its quality and reliability. Over the years, this roofing material has earned a reputation for its ability to deliver consistent performance and protection. Homeowners can rest assured that they’re choosing a tried-and-true option for their roofing needs.
Drawbacks: Considering the Downsides
While the benefits of asphalt roofing are substantial, it’s essential to acknowledge its drawbacks as well:
- High Wind Vulnerability: Asphalt shingles can be susceptible to high winds, especially if not properly installed. Homeowners in windy areas should consider proper installation techniques and reinforcements to mitigate this risk.
- Mildew Issues: Despite their durability, asphalt shingles can sometimes be prone to mildew growth, particularly in areas with high humidity. Regular maintenance and cleaning can help prevent this issue.
- Moderate Durability: While asphalt roofing is durable, it might not match the longevity of more premium roofing materials like slate or metal. Homeowners seeking an extremely long-lasting solution might want to explore other options.
- Energy Efficiency Considerations: While reflective asphalt shingles contribute to energy efficiency, they might not be as effective as other specialized roofing materials designed explicitly for energy conservation.
Our Verdict: The Reliable Choice for Modern Homes
Asphalt roofing is a versatile, cost-effective, and reliable option for homeowners seeking a well-rounded roofing solution. Its ability to adapt to various styles, resist damage, and offer a range of benefits makes it a top choice for countless households.
While it does have its drawbacks, the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages, making asphalt roofing a practical and enduring choice for the modern home. Whether you’re building from the ground up or considering a roofing replacement, asphalt roofing stands as a solid contender worthy of serious consideration.
Ready to raise the roof?
With our lifetime warranty, you can rest assured that your roof will remain in pristine condition for years to come. Plus, our genuine GAF Lifetime Designer shingles offer sophisticated designs and natural color palettes to suit your preferences.
You can also schedule a free consultation for more personalized advice.